This email was sent to volunteers on Wednesday, 9/16/20.
I hope that everyone has enjoyed the summer! Once again, I hope that everyone has stayed safe and healthy since our last correspondence.
I am writing today to let you know of changes that will be taking place with the distributions of the Milton Food Pantry. With the upcoming change of season and cooler weather (hopefully), our food distributions will return to Goshen Hall. This will happen in mid October (October 19th). Distributions will continue twice monthly on the first and third Mondays of the month. For the safety of the clients and volunteers, the food distributions will be conducted in the manner they were immediately prior to closing for Covid-19.
The Board and I feel that the following plans continue to provide the safest option for both our clients and our volunteers:
- A minimal number of volunteers will be needed, for social distancing safety.
- Registration will be done on the computer.
- To begin with, we will attempt to resume food rescue from Food Lion only. Volunteers will be needed to pick up the food from Food Lion, take it to the pantry, weigh it, sort through the food, and store it appropriately. More frequent and extensive cleaning will be required.
- If we have sufficient volunteers and distributions run smoothly, we may consider resuming weekly distributions, possibly having several alternating work teams.
- We will continue ordering boxes from the Food Bank of Delaware.
- We will continue to supplement these boxes with purchased/rescued food (e.g. meats, produce).
Many volunteers have expressed a desire to help out. As you know, we have been working with a limited core of volunteers. In moving the food distributions back to Goshen Hall, we will need volunteers for the following tasks:
- Food rescue from Food Lion (various days, yet to be determined)
- Unloading Food Bank boxes and carrying them into the Pantry (depends on the delivery day)
- Packing bags/boxes- Sundays
On Mondays, we will need volunteers from approximately 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM for the following tasks:
- Packing of fresh foods (e.g. meats, produce, etc.)
- Packing carts
- Directing traffic flow
- Toting food to clients’ vehicles
- Cleaning up/sanitizing after distribution
If you feel that volunteering in one of the above-listed capacities is something you would be able to do, please contact me at email@example.com and I can give you more information.
I know that many of you miss the social opportunities and camaraderie of the Pantry (as do I), but until things become safer, foremost, we need to consider the safety and well-being of our clients and volunteers. We care deeply for our clients and volunteers, and our continued goal is for everyone to feel safe while fulfilling our mission to provide food to our neighbors in need.
Again, I would like to thank ALL of you for your support of the Pantry. Without you, we couldn’t do what we do! Please check your email as I will try to keep you updated of any changes in procedure. Email is the most efficient means of communication with a group this large! If you know of someone who does not have or does not check their email, please partner with them to get this information to them. We will also post notices on Facebook and on our website, www.miltonpantry.org.
Thank you all and stay safe!
P.S. If you do not wish to receive further volunteer updates, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.